Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Penguins, Penguins, Penguins!

Your eyes are not betraying you, we are still working on penguins! Alex can't get enough of them and because of my surgery we are having lighter school days anyways. I still have at least 2 weeks left of being unable to really even leave the couch, and I don't want to get into anything new that I would have to go shopping for or anything in the mean time. The stairs here are so steep I have to crawl up and down them to leave our house, and that is not fun!

Here is my favorite project this week: it came from the Penguins and Mittens book, of course, and it is just adorable. You take googly eyes, card stock, a film canister, and glue and make  a penguin. How handsome is this guy!?!

Here we (attempted) to make igloos out of marshmallows and toothpicks. It was not as easy as I thought it was. There are a lot of projects for penguins and Antarctica involving igloos, so I have now had to explain to my 3 year old that penguins don't REALLY live in igloos. Oops.


Alex really just wanted to eat the marshmallows. 


Here are some Penguin fractions that I got from Love2learn2day


Here is a penguin potato stamping project from Penguins and Mittens. I posted this picture so you could see how the potato pieces were cut in order to make the penguin parts. 


And here is the final product! 


Here is Alex with his Penguin toob. He enjoys playing with all of the penguins, for Bella she can try to identify the different species.


Here is our "Frozen Adventures" wall. Each day Bella writes a story about something that happens to her while she is visiting Antarctica and we post it on our wall!

We are loving our trip to Antarctica, and hope that you will enjoy it, also! 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a ton of fun!!!!!!!!!!! I love the same one as you!! So cute!! Happy Learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, love the stamping project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter loves penguins too. There are a lot of great ideas here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are working on Antarctica (middle-school level) this week, too! www.chrisworthy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. because of your shrinky dinks comment and your image of the penguin, i remembered that there was a time, while i was a little person, that i made some artful things out of oven-baked prescription pill bottles and/or lids. we did it with the school's cafeteria oven, which may not be healthful (and advisable) for today's learning environs. that kindergarten teacher was award-winning, fwiw.

    ReplyDelete